A few links and illustrative examples, for my talk.
- Legal Threats and Transparency: At A8C we try to provide as much information as possible about the government legal threats we receive, and our guidelines for responding. Check out our transparency report.
- Copyright Infringement: We reject many copyright claims on grounds of fair use (stats are here). We also have guidelines for users (and people who complain) about what fair use is. I wish more platforms stood firm on fair use (many more are now). With regard to code, and the GPL: Wix reminded us to be very mindful of our licenses. Everyone who works with the GPL should know a little about license compatibility – this page is the best resource for that.
- Trademark Infringement: These can be very ridiculous. Janet Jackson complained about use of her name, in violation of trademark. We were threatened by the most litigious dessert in America.
- Patent Trolls: A patent on podcasting. Come on.
- The Truth Hurts: Whistleblower in Ireland (a close call!), the DCCC leaker on WordPress.com, lots of issues in Turkey. Again, we try to be as transparent as possible – Russia for example.